Monday, January 25, 2010

Complicated Hanzi

I've noticed that when I make errors in writing characters, I often make the same error on a regular basis. That is, some parts of the characters are easy to remember, while other things get mixed up. I'd guess this is common.

Has anyone tried the strategy of keeping track of his or her common mistakes, and then studying them, as a way to study characters?

I just mis-wrote 安静 for the millionth time, putting a heart-radical on the left part of 静。 (No idea why I do this... something is getting mixed up in my head I guess..)

Sometimes when I study characters (production, using anki), I circle the characters that I got wrong. I can look back, and even without looking at the incorrect character, I can remember exactly what the mistake was.. in fact, even a few days later, I can often still remember what the last mistake was, and the reason why it's been re-scheduled so soon on Anki.

Thus, I wonder if it might be helpful to do something like I suggested above. I'm probably going to try it anyways, but I'm wondering if anyone has used a strategy like this, what exactly you did, and if it was helpful or not.
Not sure if this is right, but there's a lot of common characters - 请, 情,清,晴 - which you come across at a relatively early stage that have 青 on the right. I suspect the pattern-noticing parts of the brain spots that and think of it as a rule, and so the exception of it being on the left in 静 causes confusion.

I can get 欠,攵and夂 mixed up all day long, but I work on the basis that if I ever have to write anything, my handwriting is so bad nobody is likely to notice.
Maybe you could try thinking along basic lines such as: 'The radical for 静 is 靑 (the heart radical meanwhile, that I mistakenly keep on writing, is thus pushed out of and no longer in the common left-side radical position), whilst the phonetic according to Harbaugh is apparently (or rather, "has to, can only be" therefore, by this process of elimination I'm engaged in) 争 (zhēng). So 静 = left radical 靑 + right phonetic ("phonetic") 争 .'

No comments:

Post a Comment